[IRCA] Memories of 2PK and 2UE Australia - Radio Heritage Media Release

[IRCA] Memories of 2PK and 2UE Australia - Radio Heritage Media Release

For anyone interested:
---
Memories of Australian AM Heritage Radio
2PK Parkes and 2UE Sydney, NSW

More memories of Australian radio heritage are now on-line at
www.radioheritage.net as the Radio Heritage Foundation rolls out
another heritage profile in the popular Long Lost Australian Radio
Stars series and a popular broadcaster shares some personal memories.

2PK Parkes 'The Voice of the Golden West' began broadcasting on
October 5 1937 and Royston Marcus [Manager] 'joined 4BK in 1931, 4IP
in 1935 and 2PK in 1939' having 'considerable experience as an actor
and producer'.

One of Australia's largest radio listener clubs was the 2PK Sunshine
Club, boasting 5,000 members and guided by Cecily Spicer. Also on air
was Bob Barton who 'originally studied for the medical profession but
decided in favor of radio' and was technician-announcer after earlier
working at 2LF Young and 4VL Charleville.

You'll find more photos and stories about 2PK personalities at
www.radioheritage.net, as well as a full list of some 100 of the most
popular Australian Radio Clubs from the 1930's and 40's.

Tom Crozier started at 2KA when just 17 years old and went on to work
at many country AM stations, later moving into the Sydney market, and
time with the Radio Marketing Bureau.

Along the way, Tom worked with some of the big names at 2UE Sydney,
and has kindly shared some highlights of those times with us in our
new feature '2UE Memories'. You'll read about Eric Wright and his
alarm clock in a tin, Tony McFayden's 'This is Radio 2UE Sydneeey -
McWilliams Wines announce the time as - 6 o'clock' famous time checks
and how a combination of a ladder, a moving microphone and trying to
hit the chimes combined to reduce Heath Burdock to a hilarious on-air
meltdown.

'2UE Memories' is a wonderful tribute to the characters of Australian
heritage radio, and complements our Long Lost Australian Radio Stars
profile of 2UE Sydney you'll also find at www.radioheritage.net where
it consistently ranks in our Top 20 most viewed articles month after
month.

Congratulations to 2PK Parkes for over 70 years of serving its local
community 'in the Golden West' of NSW, and our special thanks to Tom
Crozier for sharing some of the stories from his long career on radio.

If you, like Tom, have any stories, photos, memorabilia or recordings
of your time on Australian radio that you'd like to share before you
forget them, drop us a line today at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx We'll be
delighted to hear from you.

For now, help celebrate Australia's radio heritage by visiting 2PK
Parkes and 2UE Memories, together today and on-line at
www.radioheritage.net.

---

Lynn.
Lafayette, LA