Re: [IRCA] And now for something completely different - OT

Re: [IRCA] And now for something completely different - OT

I did some "really" completely different with HD. I bought a 211k HD
Dish receiver of late to get the extra lines of resolution and extra
channels only in HD, but I watch the HD in 480p, as that is all my
Toshiba EDTV will give me. I did not really need an HDTV set and I don't
like watching TV on mot LCDs I have seen. I like the warmth of a CRT and
they are on the way out. aand I record a lot of stuff on DVD to keep and
getting an HD DVD recorder is very spendy and spending $20 each for
blank discs is a bit much, plus so many have HDTV sets that do
beautifuly in HD, but do not downconvert very well to SD so the SD stuff
they used to watch on their old CRT set looks poor on their new LCD. I
know of many that ony watch HD now. If you spend lots of money for a top
of the line HD set, they generally do better downconverting to SD, but
most people buy the less expensive sets.  Unfortunately, most channels
are still not available in HD as yet either.  I wanted to get the better
pix quality and still have good SD.  The Toshiba 30" widescreen CRT EDTV
does wonders on a good DVD and the HD signals pretty much match a good
SD DVD. The OTA, SC, and other satellite fare also looks great, if the
originial transmission is good. So, I kind of moved up to HD in a way. I
get all of the channels that are only available in HD too. Some channels
coming on these days only have HD feeds. Now to move to SC HD and DVB HD
in time. But it all takes money.

Patrick