Re: [IRCA] (OT) Re: Wi-Fi legality

Patrick Martin wrote:
Rick,

I have no clue on who has the wireless. It could be anyone with in a
mile. Too many houses to know for sure. If I ever find out and they
don't have issues, I will offer to pay half of it easily. It is well
worth $25 a month to me.

I don't recall exactly what you wrote, but was this on a laptop Patrick that you were using the WiFi? Might be worth driving around with one of the WiFi auditing programs running. There are a variety of them out there and they will act like WiFi radar and let you know when you get near to the signal.

There are also key chain sized WiFi detectors but they don't have the same range.

I guess if it were me and I had an open AP and someone knocked on the door and asked if I'd be willing to split the cost and I was not knowledgeable on security enough to know I was open and vulnerable or didn't care, I wouldn't have a problem. You could for sure lock down the AP for them (and you).

There are some really good (and dirt cheap, essentially free) ways to lock down a wireless AP and isolate the wireless and LAN and WAN sides of the Internet feed. If you get that far I can brief you offline. It's simple to setup, easy to maintain, works well with any app you need, and really secure. That's important these days and not just because of caps.

One of the locations I have here has a 2 mile WiFi link running between transparent bridges and has been 100% reliable for years. You have essentially all of the features of a real network available on either end of the link, multiple PC's additional wireless links on other channels using second APs on either end, it's secure and isolates the various network subnets, etc. Lots you can do once you have the basic infrastructure in place. Simple to setup too.

So don't give up hope of a decent fast network setup.

Rick Kunath