Re: [IRCA] Equinoxial TA and TP propagation differences

At 04:59 3/31/2009, you wrote:

>Having been an ardent TP and TA DXer for several seasons, I've noticed that in my part of the world, the Fall equinox far exceeds Spring equinox for TP and TA DX.  My question is thus:  Do our DU colleagues experience the same Fall/Spring differences (ie their Fall/Spring), or do they mimic our September superiority over March?  Has there been any research in this area, and explanation for the differences?  .....Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC.

This has certainly been observed in the northern hemisphere for many years, Walt, but I hadn't seen any observations from the southern hemisphere.

It's also a two pronged question, because we are dealing with receptions that are in the same hemisphere (i.e. Asiatics and Europeans for us in western north America) vs. trans-equatorial receptions (Australia-NZ for us) that can have decidedly different reception patterns.  My impression is that the trans-equatorial receptions also have a stronger peak at least in the late summer / very early fall compared with spring, but, depending on the location in the solar cycle, that peak quickly fades away by October.

An obvious, though non-technical, answer is that the ionosphere benefits in some way from summer's more intense solar radiation (or in the more northern areas, any solar radiation at all), but what that would be,  I can't  say (increased likelihood of E and F layer separation leading to ducting? or  ?)

Certainly an interesting question.

best wishes,

Nick