From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John H. Bryant
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:00 PM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ultralightdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IRCA] The 980 Western Mysteries Continue

I have now made TOH recordings of 980 kHz., looking at the western
half of the horizon from northern Oklahoma for the last three nights
running. Starting at dusk or soon after, there are three Mexican
stations and one EE speaking station on that frequency.

The mystery that got me started on this odyssey is the EE station. It
plays religious music 24 hours a day... not really gospel music, more
main line hymns and Christian contemporary ballads, I think.  Here,
the station is just above the noise floor most of the time.  It IDs
fairly often by a male, often saying just "Praise 980." Last night, I
sometimes heard a slogan after some of the IDs. Sometimes it was
something about a place... "Your place for peace and meditation" or
some such. Other times, it was something about "Playing xxxx 24 hours
a day." Last night also, several of the TOHs had the guy saying
"Praise 980" followed by a commercial or PSA read by a lady that gave
an 800 number and a website repeated twice toward the end of the
PSA.  I could get the neither the entire number nor website, but I
KNOW that the website was "xxx californiaxxxxxxxx.com"  I thought
that it was californiaraisens.com, but I tried that and nothing came
up. This might be the website of the station owners??? I wish this
was a bit higher above the noise floor.  This is all that I've gotten
with lotsa time invested in audio processing, etc.

Bill Block in Arizona was able to determine that Praise was not the
980 Utah station, but he has heard the "Praise 980" slogan.  There is
one possible station in western Colorado, two in New Mexico, one each
in Arizona and Nevada plus four in California.  Given that PSA, the
California stations might be suspects, but I first heard this thing
just after local sunset here, so that is a long way west for so early
in the evening. On subsequent nights, the 0900-1100 time period has been
best.

THERE ARE OTHER 980 MYSTERIES IN WESTERN NAm.:

At dusk here, or soon after, I have a mix of up to three Mexican
stations and the Praise 980 coming from the Western half of my horizon.

The first 980 mystery is the identification of the Mexican that signs
off at 0400.  At that time and often at the previous two TOH, I hear
an XE call letter ID.  Most of the time, I hear "X-E-M-F" fairly well
and sometimes with a mention (I think) of Coahuila state. XEMF was a
call used until fairly recently by a station on 780 in Montclova, COA
. There is a station in Coahuila state on 980: XENR, Nueva Rosita,
which I have also heard these last three nights. I can find no
information about a relationship between the Montclova station and
the one in Nueva Rosita, either. What is going on here??? Has XEMF moved?

After the Coahuila (or whatever) station(s) clears the frequency,
there are still two Mexican stations and Praise 980 present. These
two Mexicans both leave the air at 0800, which would usually indicate
Pacific Time Zone. Only northern Baja California is PLT and they have
no stations on 980. The IRCA Mexican List shows XEXT in Nayarit
signing off at 0700 and the same for XEFQ in western Sonora.  I
wonder if both, for some reason have moved to an 0800 SF.  Why would
anybody sign off at 1 AM?? Haas anyone IDed either of these two stations???

There are only 8 stations on 980 in Mexico.  Its amazingly mysterious
on that frequency for such few stations.  After those final two clear
the air, the only thing left for me is a usually very low level
"Praise 980" or some of KMBZ, Talk of Kansas City that leaks from the
backside.

I'd be happy to supply anyone with my best recordings of any of these
mysteries, just ask... I'd love to have any ideas that might occur, as well,

Best Regards,

John B.
WinRadio 313e + Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Arrays, SW and NW