Re: [IRCA] Wi-Fi legality (OT)

Patrick Martin wrote:

I did not spend hundreds
of hours of grounding, shielding, etc to just run a piece of coax into
the house to permanently mess up my DX. I would rather do without a
computer completely, before I would lose my DX.

It occurs to me that your local cable company may have some bigger issues if it's really that leaky.

One of the technical standards that the FCC still bothers to enforce, and to issue fines on (sometimes), is leakage from cable systems. A properly-operating cable system shouldn't have any detectable outside emissions. I have Time Warner cable right into the same room that's my DX shack, and it's never given me any issues.

Why is this the FCC's problem? Because cable systems use frequencies that are licensed for over-the-air use by other services, some of them very important...like, say, the aircraft navigation systems that use the same frequencies that are cable channels 14-16, and the military communications that take place on the same frequencies that are cable channels 22 to about 35.

The problem, of course, is getting the FCC's attention. It's my understanding that the Enforcement Bureau is especially painfully understaffed in the Pacific Northwest.