Re: [IRCA] [Bulk] Re: ULTRALIGHT DX.....1090 SPANISH UNID...Revisited???

Re: [IRCA] [Bulk] Re: ULTRALIGHT DX.....1090 SPANISH UNID...Revisited???

Barry McLarnon wrote:

I guess the "some don't believe" refers to me, since I didn't see anyone else chime in on this topic. For the record, I didn't say that you can't tell what direction a station is coming from, I simply stated that there are limitations that you must keep in mind. There are other technically inclined folks on this list who could expound on this in a calm and rational manner, but they haven't spoken up - apparently it's a touchy subject. Oh well.
Barry......I'm not really getting all cranked up over this...and I'm sure you're not either. With propagation being what it is...we both know that nothing is written in Stone as far as hearing anything goes. I realize they all use different Antenna Patterns which affects where the signal goes etc.....The point I try to make when DXing with the ULR's is that they ARE very directional...as a matter of fact....I sometimes can't even believe how directional they are. Many times I am able to separate and differentiate between stations that are essentially in the Same Line of sight from me...just by moving the ULR the Tiniest little bit. Over the last year and a half.....I have become very familiar with how these Crazy Little Things react....and have learned that for the most part...they really can give a pretty good idea of where the Station is located. As you stated...there are a hundred other things that may affect what we hear...but for the most part...If I hear something...and I'm not sure what it is....I can come up with an Uneducated guess as to what direction it is coming from...not always right...but "usually" pretty close. With all that said..if we ever ID this thing..it'll probably end up being from the Exact OPPOSITE Direction I think it's coming from....just because that's the way Murphy works!! AHHAHHHA....

I tried last night, but it was no go. IBOC jammers WTIC and WTAM were laying waste to 1090 from both sides, big time. It was difficult even to get intelligible audio from WBAL - I could tell there was something under them, but it was washed out by hiss. You folks further west get less signal from both WBAL and WTIC, so you have a better chance to dig a little deeper on 1090. If it's only on after midnight, maybe nobody else has been up late enough!

Thanks for trying to hear this station last night Barry..I appreciate you giving it a whirl...You hear alot of Good Stuff up your way...so if anyone will be able to pull this out....you'll be the guy!! I was actually referring to other Southwestern Ontario Canucks that prowl these Reflectors...Like Saul Chernos, Niel Wolfish and a few of the other ULR Guys that are located less than 100 miles from me. They are the ones I thought may have the same "Listening Conditions" I work under. Barry...you are far enough away from me that things may be a little different...like you pointed out with the IBOC from WTIC and WBAL even being stronger.

Anyways.....My guess is that this is a Station from the Southeast....or maybe even the South of me here in London. I don't think it's in Mexico. Until someone is able to get an ID .....we'll never know. Hopefully anyone reading this can give a listen whenever they can ........especially after midnight. Although this is a Mystery to me right now....it is most likely someone's Local or Semi-Local!!

Thanks to all who have chimed in and offered input on this Spanish Mystery .......Maybe together we can solve who it is!!

Regards..ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
London, Ontario CANADA