Re: [IRCA] Tecsun PL-600 LW-MW-SW Portable

Re: [IRCA] Tecsun PL-600 LW-MW-SW Portable

Hi Kevin,

In answer to your questions, the SSB capability of the new Tecsun PL-600 is
basically similar to that of the ICF-SW7600GR, with neither radio having any
significant edge in BFO stability. Both of them require a short warm-up to be
completely stable, and the ECSS reception potential of the PL-600 is similar
to  that of the Sony model.

The major difference is ergonomic, with the PL-600 having a dedicated round
knob for the SSB fine tuning, compared to the ICF-SW7600GR's rather cumbersome
 tuning thumbwheel. As mentioned previously, the PL-600 also has a wider
tuning range in the SSB control, and need not be switched between LSB and USB,
as in the Sony model. The Tecsun's SSB capability can be used with either  the
wide or narrow IF filter, although for serious AM DXing the wide  filter is
essentially useless, allowing far too much slop from local  stations. As a
result, any flutter issue is pretty much a moot point. Since  the SSB fine tuning
control on the PL-600 covers a wider range, it is also  slightly more difficult
to zero in on the desired DX station than on the Sony  model. Using the
narrow filter in the SSB mode can allow the PL-600 user to  make some excellent DX
catches adjacent to strong locals, however, when the SSB  fine tuning control
is optimized on the weak DX station's frequency.

As mentioned previously, the PL-600 lacks the ICF-SW7600GR's effective  synch
detector, and in general does not have the highly attractive fit and  finish
of the Sony model. But at roughly half the cost of the ICF-SW7600GR, it  does
provide outstanding DX performance for the money, and ergonomically  superior
SSB tuning capability as an Ultralight radio spotting  receiver. For DXers
with stock Ultralights like the E100, DT-400W, C.Crane  SWP and other sensitive
models, the Tecsun PL-600 would be an excellent,  economic choice to organize a
search for transoceanic DX.

73, Gary

In a message dated 3/11/2009 8:38:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,