From: Steve Byan <stevebyan@xxxxxxx>
To: badx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 1:25 pm
Subject: Re: Indoor vertical update

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Craig Healy wrote:

Until now it had been a couple of rooms away fed by a 40' length of >
RG-58 50
ohm coax. There was a significant noise issue and a number of >
birdies that
swamped a number of frequencies. And, some electrical buzz would >
run for 30
seconds on and a minute off. Gave me 2/3rds DX time.

I've taken to using quad-shielded RG-6 (cable TV drop cable). The garden-variety RG-58 and RG-8 doesn't have enough braid coverage to give good shielding. You can find quality RG-58 cable like Belden 8259, but it's expensive. Quad-shielded RG-6 cable has even better shielding and is cheaply available from Home Depot. You really do need to invest in a Snap-N-Seal tool and compression coax connectors. The Home Depot connectors are useless.

I replaced the RG-58 with CAT5 ethernet cable of about the same 40' >
length.

CAT5 is pretty g
ood stuff, and handy where you have a balanced feed.

Best regards,
-Steve

--Steve Byan <stevebyan@xxxxxxx>
Littleton, MA 01460