[IRCA] DTV STBs QRM SHORTWAVE

In all the discussion of DTV converter boxes, I haven`t seen any mention of this, possibly because no one else is interested both in direct OTA DTV reception, AND shortwave DXing/listening??

They (at least the Zenith DTT900/901 that I have), put out a continuous whine on many shortwave bands. This is when they are supposedly OFF, in the `red-eye` position; when they are blue-eyed, ON, they put out different hash on the SW bands, which is as bad if not worse. The only solution is to unplug them when not in use, since like so much electronic gear today, they are always ON or standing-by, even when supposedly OFF.

This became worse when I installed a second unit on a TV set closer to my SW rigs, but even when it is unplugged, the first one in another housepart still QRMs SW. Fortunately, the Zeniths retain their programming even when unplugged for several days, tho not sure if indefinitely. For example, Jan 31 around 1600 UT I noted the peaks of the whines showed approx. every 72 kHz between 15160 and 15660 kHz. All progress must be accompanied by regress (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)