Re: [IRCA] ALA 100 and related thoughts

Don,

I'd been thinking along the same line also, regarding W8JI's wisdom on this
subject and some of the claims about "magnetic loops" that are just too
glowing to be true.

Although I own a pair of ALA100s and love their versatility and ease of use,
any time I've had them close to noise sources like houses the results have
been disappointing. The rotating ALA100 I have is at 40 feet from the corner
of our house, which I consider right at the edge of the minimum distance.
Rotating the loop can null noise sources but I mainly use the antenna to
help determine whether a 9 kHz signal is coming in on a DU, TP, or TA path.

My more recently installed antenna, a 35 x 30 foot terminated ("Conti")
loop, unamplified, aimed northwest hears TPs a lot better than the ALA100
oriented in the same direction. The s/n ratio is simply better and makes the
difference between just a het on the ALA100 and audio on the Conti loop. The
directionality of Conti loops, EWEs, Flags, and Pennant antennas is what
makes the difference I think, as the rear beam of the figure-8 ALA100 aims
at houses, noise, and stateside signals when it's oriented northwest for
TPs.

Patrick-- in my opinion your first move (after trying the borrowed
ALA100) should be to build a small EWE oriented exactly on the TA bearing
you want, and get it as far from the house if you can. If you don't have
convenient trees or supports, try 20 or 30 foot telescoping fiberglas poles
such as some of us use on DXpeditions. (I can give you some good pointers on
pricing, sources, and usage offline.)

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA'