[IRCA] My Best DX Catch of 2008

I would have to say my best DX catch of 2008 would be KCLE-AM 1140 Cleburne,
Texas (Now KHFX, KCLE is on 1460 in Burleson)

1140 AM is 5KW Day/4 towers and 760W Night/4 towers with a big null to the
North and an all NW signal at night.

I was in Marion, Illinois having just visited my friends radio station, WGGH
1150. We drove across town to the hotel to stay for the night. I had pulled
my boombox out, stuck some batteries in and hit record, then turned on the
radio. Since WGGH dropped to 46 Watts at night from 2 towers (down from
5KW), it would take a little work to find... took me a minute or three to
find out i had it for sure, then I walked up to the hotel room.

I got a few jingles, my WGGH weather forecast) and a legal id airchecked,
then shut it off and went to bed. By the way, you can hear that weather
forecast by clicking here:
http://www.realradiousa.com/PaulWalkerOnWGGHMarionIL.mp3

Anyways, about a month later, I was in the production room at KNLV getting
ready to dub that tape to cassette. I had rewound it too far, and was
waiting for the WGGH sound bite, linked above to start... I thought I heard
an announcer talking and said "Wait, I think I heard something....."

I rewound the tape and what I got from KCLE was this:
http://www.realradiousa.com/1140.mp3 Near the end, just about 5 seconds in,
you can hear "You're tune to Classic Country KCLE 1140
Cleburne..(unintelligable).. Crowley".

Marion, IL to Cleburne, TX is about 625 miles-ish or so. What made this the
winner for DX Catch was that I wasn't expecting it at all, and Marion isn't
even same direction as their Main lobe at night. Marion is NE from Cleburne
and 1140 beams NW.

Enjoy!
Paul Walker
www.onairdj.com