Re: [IRCA] Palstar Receivers

> I don't know how many of you might have one of these, but
> I'm wondering how they perform in terms of selectivity
> near a strong signal. Can it separate a 1 kHz split with
> readable audio adjacent to a reasonably strong signal ?
> ( I realize with a very strong local, it's a separate
> case, requiring nulling of some sort.

The R30CC with the Collins filters is quite good.  I have *never* had a
situation where it overloaded.  Today I was parked about 50' from a tower
with a kilowatt on 1340.  I did null the tower with the ferrite antenna in
the truck.  I was able to listen to WARL-1320 with no problems at around 30
miles.  Could hear the two semi-locals on 1360 and their SAH.  Lynn, MA is
maybe 50 miles and Hartford is much further.

Parked about the same distance from the 1kw WDDZ-550 tower I can hear 540
and 560 as long as I turn the WDDZ IBOC off.

Overload is not a problem with the Palstar.  I use a 68" whip, a 24" ferrite
loop and the single pot combiner in the truck.

I have heard Denmark on 1062 while parked in downtown Pawtucket, RI.  1060
in Boston has a good signal here.

890/891 and 1520/1521 separate well.  Putting it in the narrow IF position
and tuning up or down a kHz works with it.  USB/LSB also works.  The Collins
filters work very well.

With a small loop antenna, the DX Engineering RPA-1 preamp makes a huge
difference.  Good enough that I pulled the internal battery holder out and
permanently mounted an RPA-1 inside.  I put a switch on the back panel to
turn it on/off.

Another mod I did was change the front panel and meter lamps to LEDs.  Tired
of changing the bulbs.  Radio Shack white LEDs worked fine.  I did keep the
high/low light switch on the back.  In retrospect, I should have simply
bypassed it and used that to control the RPA-1.  I never use the high
illumination position with the LEDs.

For portable use I bought a 12v 7ah UPS replacement battery from Radio
Shack.  Runs the Palstar for many hours and recharges with a common 12v
(13.8v actually) 2a power supply.  I've used the battery for a couple of
years and it is still fine.

About my only complaint is the lack of noise blanker.  I'm looking at the
ultimate noise blanker by eventually swapping the 350 gas engine for a
Cummins 4BT diesel.  No ignition, no noise.  Maybe this summer...

Bottom line is that this is a very good receiver as far as I'm concerned.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI