[IRCA] C.Crane SWP Ultralight Radio

Hello Guys,

     In late 2007 the C.Crane company came out with  their compact SWP radio
model, a 455 kHz IF unit which was obviously  inspired by the higher-quality
Eton E100.  The size, features and even  styling of the SWP model are almost
identical to the E100, although  unfortunately C.Crane did not choose to include
many of the innovative  features found in the E100, and also cut corners on
the quality of  construction.

     Eager to include the new SWP model in the first  2008 Ultralight Radio
AM-DX Shootout, I ordered one of the first production  models from C.Crane,
which was very disappointing in performance.  Even  after aligning both the
loopstick and 1400 kHz trimming capacitor, the  sensitivity and selectivity were
both mediocre.  Having only one unit at  the time (and figuring that C.Crane's
advertising hype was bogus), I concluded  that the model was substandard, and
reported my findings in the January 2008  Shootout.  The model was then
relegated to the "Ultralight Turkey  Farm."

     Recently, after Eton's termination of the E100  model, I recalled that
this C.Crane SWP model was now the only remaining  ultralight radio having a
455 kHz IF (a critical factor for possible selectivity  upgrades, since various
premium 455 kHz IF filter upgrades are available, as  opposed to the more
modest 450 kHz filters).  To investigate the  suitability of the C.Crane SWP for
modification, I ordered two more of the SWP  units-- and promptly discovered
that my early-model SWP from December 2007  (serial # C1120017500) had a
defective component on the RF circuit board, making  AM sensitivity much worse than
normal.

     Both Steve Ratzlaff and I have recently ordered  new C.Crane SWP models,
and have found their sensitivity quite good in stock  form.  Their
selectivity is modest at best, however, and the stock IF  filter reminds one of a barn
door (although not quite as wide a door as the  notorious SRF-M37V).  The
model's build quality is definitely not up  to the E100 standard, and any
technicians confident enough to try modifications  will quickly discover that various
interconnecting wires break with very little  provocation.  Efforts will
continue to modify this  technician-resistant model to make it more sensitive and
selective,  although there are some other rough edges that will never be popular
(such as  the lack of an analog volume control).

     For those DXers looking for decent stock  sensitivity, however, the
C.Crane SWP at $49.95 is not bad for a  digital Ultralight radio.  The recent
models usually provide good  sensitivity on either high or low band, and if you
are lucky enough to get  a well-aligned factory model, you might get decent
sensitivity across the  band.  The alignment procedure is straightforward (for
those with any  technical experience). A Slider SWP has also already been
created, and is highly  sensitive from 520-1700 kHz.  Unfortunately the real
challenge for this  model will be curing the barn-door selectivity, without having the
 radio self-destruct during the process. For those of us accustomed to
working on the higher-quality E100, the SWP is quite a rude shock.

     73,  Gary  DeBock

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)