[IRCA] BCmap program and Available FCC Software

[IRCA] BCmap program and Available FCC Software

Jim, Et al --

This situation sounds similar to the program by Eric Force, "Where's That Station?" (http://www.dobe.com/wts/), which was a freebie AND useful for DXers. I don't believe Eric has updated his program since 2006. I have never tried Jim's program, but it sounds like it is valuable enough to keep afloat, just as I believe Eric's program should be kept alive. I suspect that Eric, like Jim, has his plate full of other projects.

Over the years, a number of programs have come and gone. Those that seem to stay are where only technical issues are corrected (i.e., program update); those requiring frequent updating utilizing data from another site (e.g., FCC Updates), too often, become extinct because of the programmer simply not having the time to update the program as station information changes. Although very understandable, I personally hate to see "free-ware" disappear.

A handy site, for obtaining and using FCC software, is http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/software/suss/

   Maybe this will help, Jim.

         Very 73 and Best of DX de Mike

Jim Tonne wrote:

Gents:

I am the author of "BCmap", a program which was
written for the casual user to see the various patterns
of stations in the AM band.

The database by now is quite old.  Although it can be
upgraded manually, that is a risky and dubious approach
for an end-user to do....

....Another is to simply drop the program, kiss it goodbye,
and get on with other things.  Since this is a freebie, and
since I have lots of other things to do, I suspect this will be
the case.

- Jim Tonne