[IRCA] FM DXing on Ultralight Radios

Hello John C. and Kevin,

     There is indeed some serious interest in FM DXing  with Ultralight
radios, but those of us with interest in this "niche hobby  within a niche hobby"
have been reluctant to use the medium-wave DX resources of  the IRCA and
ultralightdx Yahoo list reflectors to disseminate information and  technical
suggestions for promotion of this special activity, surmising that it  would not be
suitable for the accepted AM-DXing orientation of these important  forums.

     In general, the best performing AM-DX pocket  radios are also the best
FM-DX performers, with the Eton E100 and Sangean  DT-400W both exceptional in
FM sensitivity (the E100 with a whip antenna,  and the DT-400W with its
headphone-wire system).  Obviously, serious  FM DXers are not likely to be satisfied
with these simple antennas for chasing  serious DX, and I have experimented
with the inductive coupling of  FM 2-element cubical quad antennas to these
simple antennas, with very  promising results.  Any FM DXers with effective
external antennas can  inductively couple these to the Ultralights, and receive a
monstrous boost in  signal strength for DX (in some cases, impedance matching
networks can be  useful).  I have an external FM loop antenna on my 40' tower
pointed  north, and almost all the Vancouver and Victoria (BC) FM stations boom
in  on the Ultralights, when inductive coupling is used.

     If there is sufficient interest in this FM-DX  aspect of Ultralight
DXing, I suppose the best option would be to form a  distinct group specializing
in the promotion of this activity, rather that to  attempt trying to fit it in
to the AM-DXing resources.  A  separate "ultralightfmdx" Yahoo group might be
an option, assuming there is  sufficient interest for such a development.  Any
comments or suggestions  would be most appreciated.

     73,  Gary  DeBock