Re: [IRCA] [Tvfmdx] KUSA 980 Yamika, WA

HASCALL, DAVID CIV DFAS wrote:
Going off topic here, what about TV stations "calling themselves
whatever they want (hello Scott Fybush?)?

For example, after conversion, there will be no (RF) channels above RF
channel 51.  Example - my local Fox channel is 59 but the actual RF is
channel 45.  It will still be known as channel 59 to viewers.  Can a new
station call itself channel 92, if they wanted to?

Generally speaking, no. There are very specific rules in place, with the force of law, as part of the adoption of the ATSC digital TV standard. Existing licensees must use their former analog channel number as their DTV main channel number - and new licensees occupying channels formerly used by analog stations actually have to use those stations' DTV RF channel numbers.

Example: here in Rochester, my WXXI-TV is vacating analog 21 and remaining on DTV 16. We'll still be using "21" as our virtual channel - and if someone comes along later and applies for a new DTV station on RF channel 21, they'd actually have to use "16" as their virtual channel.

There's a certain rhyme and reason to this, as it ensures that most (non-DXer) viewers won't experience a conflict between stations using the same virtual channel number.

There are provisions, as Doug Smith can probably explain in more detail, for broadcasters to request the use of virtual channel numbers above 69 on either a regional or national basis. Tribune, for instance, at one point requested "75" for all of its stations, perhaps with the idea of creating a semi-national network with that branding.