Re: [IRCA] WBZ IBOC is OFF!

WBZ-1030 does seem to have the IBOC off this evening.  1040 is completely in
the clear.  The audio on WBZ still seems to be limited to the 5KHz bandwidth
which is a symptom of a transmitter set for IBOC.  I wonder if there was
some settlement with WYSL-1040?  I certainly hope there was, though it's an
odd time for that to happen.  The FF country station on 1040 is quite
listenable, CJMS I think.

If this stays off I can check with one of the engineers there who is an
acquaintance to get the story as to why.

In that frequency neighborhood, IBOC does appear to be on KDKA-1020 though
it shows as being quite low level.  Same with WINS-1010.  May just be
propagation, though the carrier levels are pretty good.  I also can see an
IBOC sideband from 1000, probably Chicago.  The IBOC sidebands from WOFX-980
in Troy, NY are also quite strong.

Maybe, just maybe we're seeing the withdrawal of AM IBOC.  I would think the
cost/benefits ratio of iBiquity licensing can't be very good right now.
It'd be *far* better to shut IBOC off than lay off people.  For every
listener with an HD Radio, there are probably hundreds with older wideband
AM radios like what Chrysler used some time back.  Those are wide enough to
pick up the hiss and it ain't pretty.

Local WPRO-630 hasn't run IBOC in a long time.  WDDZ-550 and WHJJ-920 run it
days only.  Local WRNI-1290 runs it 24 hours and it does affect local
WARL-1320 on some radios.

I'm really waiting for a simple to use internet-capable car receiver that
can pick up streams.  That in itself will make IBOC moot.  Better quality
and far more varied content.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI