Re: [IRCA] Durham Radio Runs Out of Eton E100's

Re: [IRCA] Durham Radio Runs Out of Eton E100's

Hi Colin,

     Thanks for your very positive comments on the  DXing performance of the
E100 Slider models, during your Kona vacation.   John, Guy and I have already
known about the monster performance of these  tiny wonders, and it's nice to
have another TP-DXer thrilled with the  results.

     Your suggestion of the E-100S designation for the  Slider models is
great :>)   Since there are two versions of the  E100 Sliders, maybe we could call
John's plywood-frame model the E100SJ, and my  plastic-frame model the
E100SG?   :>)

     It's unfortunate that Durham Radio has run out of  the E100's, but since
Eton had officially discontinued this  model since June, it shouldn't be a
big surprise to anybody.  The NOS  E100's are still routinely available from
other sources, although at a higher  price.  There are also several outlets
selling demo and used models,  some offering guarantees of proper operation.

     For those of you already owning an E100 and  considering DX performance
modifications, there is currently no shortage of  the Murata CFJ455K5 IF
filters (Steve Ratzlaff is still doing the  modifications) or parts to make Slider
loopsticks (Amidon is still selling  type 61 ferrite bars 7.5" long, and Dave
Schmarder is still selling 40/44  Litz wire).  During 2009, I think there will
be plenty of new monster  E100's created, hopefully providing great new
portable DXing excitement for  transoceanic and domestic DXers.

     73 and Good DX,   Gary DeBock

In a message dated 12/30/2008 8:45:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Might you have one or three tucked away somewhere that you're willing  to
part with for a price? Inquiring minds want to know.Bert New

I have  2 - and in the interest of science and good will,
I would be willing to  loan my E100 Slider (now almost fresh from
its Hawaiian adventure...) to  any of you -

Anyone have a sense if there is a little brother or  sister
to the E100?

In retrospect I am glad that I did not bring the  Eton E1
all this way - the E100 is very directional and has helped
null  out some unpleasant QRN - the E1's whip on MW would
not have done  anything.

The Grundig G6 and Kaito 1103, also along for the  ride,
have been virtually useless on MW against the slider -
and the  Sony Prison has been an utter non-starter -

It too needs some large  ferrite ears to dig into
that soft RF zone we call the  pacific.

>From what I have experienced with the  E100-Slider,
heretofore to be referred to the now discontinued
E100-s (I  hope Gary, John an Guy approve...) or
the E100-S - it has performed about  as well as
a Drake R8 locked on a 1.2 khz filter position
connected to a  Wellbrook ALA100 and suitable loop
of wire -- actually and in all fairness  - it
is BETTER than that.
The E100-s is more sensitive than the Sony  2010
by about 6db (or more) [using my ears here after all folks]
and a  clear notch above the Eton E1 -

It is a shame that the E100 and E100-s  are now slipping into
the real of legend... and my trip isn't even over  yet...

Best 73 and  Aloha,

--
Colin  Newell - Editor - CoffeeCrew DOT Com ---
Victoria, British Columbia - Radio  VA7WWV
original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its
editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org