Re: [IRCA] First Anniversary of Ultralight Radio Boom-- November 20

Re: [IRCA] First Anniversary of Ultralight Radio Boom-- November 20

I'm glad that these items have added new life to the hobby...Mike Sanburn> From: D1028Gary@xxxxxxx> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:24:35 -0500> To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ultralightdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [IRCA] First Anniversary of Ultralight Radio Boom-- November 20> > Hello Guys,> > With the Ultralight radio niche hobby now being enjoyed throughout > North America, Europe and many other areas of the world, some enthusiasts may be > curious how this whole craziness started. It actually started on November > 20, 2007 with some startling TP receptions on a humble SRF-59, but was fueled > by some amazing coincidences that gave the movement a massive surge within > just a month.> > On November 19, 2007, I was shopping for a Christmas present to give my > son, Danny, an introduction to the joys of AM-DXing (which I experienced as > a kid, with a transistor radio). At the local Fred Meyer store, I picked out > an analog Sony Walkman, the SRF-59, which looked a lot like the portables I > used in the early 60's. Upon returning home to ensure the radio worked > properly, I gave it a quick test on AM and FM. Everything worked OK-- but there > was something very unusual about the AM performance. A tiny, cheap > transistor portable like this wasn't supposed to be receiving California stations > around noontime here in western Washington, 500 miles to the north. This SRF-59 > was a real shocker! Feeling somewhat guilty, I asked Danny if Daddy could > get him another present instead of this one. To my relief, he quickly agreed.> > The daytime DX on this SRF-59 was astonishing, but even more stunning > was the complete freedom from image reception, and almost complete freedom > from spurious signals. On an $18 portable? What was going on here? Why hadn't > anyone else in the AM-DXing hobby reported the outstanding performance of > this tiny wonder?> > But the big shocker was yet to come. Just after local midnight on > November 20, a couple of Japanese TP stations (JOIB-747 and JOAK-594) made a > decent appearance on this tiny SRF-59, completely transforming my casual AM-DXing > attitude. This was revolutionary! Other AM-DXers had to experience this > excitement.> > Upon getting up after reduced sleep (a common malady affecting TP > chasers), I excitedly attempted to send a report of the new SRF-59's performance > to the IRCA list reflector. But probably due to lack of concentration, the > email was sent to Colin Newell (of DXer.Ca) instead. This "mistake" was > actually one of the major reasons the Ultralight Radio boom got started, because > Colin's support for the ULR concept (and his encouragement of a formal SRF-59 > review) helped spread the Boom throughout North America.> > A formal SRF-59 review posted on DXer.Ca caused such a run on SRF-59's > (in December) that even Amazon.com had trouble filling orders at times. To > show appreciation for Colin's support, various free SRF-59 samples were sent > to Canadians, including one to Rob Ross, who used it to log over 300 stations > in 30 days in January. In early December, the SRF-59 Boom was in full swing, > and pocket radio DXing was catching on like wildfire (with SRF-M37V's and > DT-200VX units also popular). Also in early December, Kevin Schanilec > suggested that we designate a name for this new form of AM-DXing, and by consensus, > Kevin's suggestion of "Ultralight Radio" was chosen. By late December, the > Boom was the talk of AM-DXing circles, and established DXer John Bryant was > showing interest (along with many others). A new AM-DXing phenomena had begun, > which with John's organizational talents, became the established, exciting > niche hobby that we enjoy today. Thanks to all who contributed, and "Happy > Birthday" to all Ultralight Radio enthusiasts!> > 73 and Best Wishes,> Gary DeBock > > . > **************Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news & > more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt> p://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000001)> _______________________________________________> IRCA mailing list> IRCA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca> > Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers> > For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org> > To Post a message: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>