Re: [IRCA] QSL # 3,000-KFBX 970 => QSLing

Re: [IRCA] QSL # 3,000-KFBX 970 => QSLing

Bert and anyone else,

There are probably several references to QSLing including the one written by
the late Ernie Cooper that's on the IRCA website. It all comes down to a few
things.

1. Be polite, send professional looking reports and return postage or SASE
2. Find the right person at the station. Look at past club bulletins, the
QIP website, and the DXmidAmerica website
3. Find out what stations send for QSLs. A few still have cards, some send
letters and some will only return a prepared card.
4. Find their website for any information and comment on that in your
report.
5. I send the mini-CDs with many reports. They fit in a legal envelope.
Extract their ID into a separate file so that they can find it easily.
6. Make comment on their programming. If they normally carry national
programs, try to report when they have local programming.
7. Be prepared to send follow up reports or emails. From experience, make
your first email count as a second one doesn't happen that often
8. If you need a prepared card, make it professional looking. I use typed
postcards and have a large collection from many cities. Sometimes I grab
their logo off their website and print one on card stock. Some people make
form letters.
9. Have patience and persistence, you won't get instant results but
consistent reports going out will increase your veries over time.

You're on your own on Amateurs. I only have a couple 10 meter beacons. Send
SASEs or find out if they use eQSLs. Find them on QRZ.com or Google them for
an email address.

Martin Foltz

> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:27:51 -0500
> From: Ira Elbert New, III
> Subject: Re: [IRCA] QSL # 3,000-KFBX 970
>
> Congratulations! May you get another 3,000. February '65, eh? I was two
months old then....December 8, 1964.I wish I would take the time and trouble
to > send away for QSL Cards. Any words of wisdom or inspiration? I also
have trouble getting QSL Cards from some in the Amateur Radio world!Ira
Elbert