Re: [IRCA] Applications for two new AM stations in Toronto Area

Re: [IRCA] Applications for two new AM stations in Toronto Area

HASCALL, DAVID CIV DFAS wrote:
Bill;

I have been DX'ing AM on and off since about 1980 and I only recently
logged CKNX (for the first time).  I think that I am closer to Wingham
than you are.  You would think that their pattern must be aimed right at
you, it is, the DAY pattern!  The night one takes it West and North, as
far as I could tell.

Dave in Indy

There is significant cause to believe that CKNX rarely, if ever, uses its licensed night pattern...

As for the earlier question about whether US stations on 1550 would be able to get more night power when and if CBE goes silent, the answer is, no.

Regardless of whether CBE is actually operating on 1550, the station is "internationally notified" to the US as though it were operating, and in any event 1550 is a Class A channel reserved for Canadian use under international treaty, so US stations will continue to protect CBE (and CBA, and CKBD, and all the other zillions of silent Canadian AMs) as though they still existed.

Call it Canada's revenge for the Great IBOC Buzzsaw of the South... :-)