Re: [IRCA] What's with this ultralight stuff?

Re: [IRCA] What's with this ultralight stuff?

     It's a great way to DX from almost anywhere. I haven't even turned on my DRAKE R8B for some time now. I may ever spend all of next year using only my ULTRALIGHTS just to see what I can pick out.Bert New
Watkinsville, Georgia
Proudly Serving You Since 1964!> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:48:30 -0800> From: donutbandit@xxxxxxxxx> To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [IRCA] What's with this ultralight stuff?> > I do understand it. Kind of. But, these ultralights are very little> different in selectivity and sensitivity from the old tube type table radio> that had an RF amplifier section. A six tuber as compared to the AA5.> > Now, if you were using it barefoot, that would mean something to me, but> coupling large loops to them? Doesn't that kind of take away the challenge?> The only handicap I can see is that it's much harder to tune. They are quite> sensitive.> > I had an idea back in the day to start a QRP DX challenge. There was a guy> in AZ who was using a one transistor regen with a long wire antenna. Now,> that kind of DXing would be a challenge.> > I remember that we had the graveyard channel challenges back in the early> 90s. Those were fun.> > -- > Leonard Hyde> Weed, CA> Realistic DX-440> 6 foot shielded loop> _______________________________________________> IRCA mailing list> IRCA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca> > Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers> > For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org> > To Post a message: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>