I will probably never own a house so after leaving for college I've mostly had to get by with no HF. I still enjoy VHF and UHF and help the local club with two way communications for some events; most are for a charity.

Welcome to the world of ham radio. It's changed a lot but there's still lots of fun to be had.

73

----- Original Message ----- Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:30:15 -0800
From: cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IRCA] Sort of On-Topic radio announcement...
of America <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

35 years ago, at the delicate age of 13 or 14, I used to spend a lot of time
at our local library reading up on Electronics, radio, etc.

While there I met a 65 year old retired gentleman who was a Ham
that wintered in Victoria B.C. - We got to talking and would occasionally
run into each other at the library and then go for coffee -
We would talk about his career in Radio and the Canadian Military - He a
WWII veteran that was stationed at Ucluelet of all places.

At the time I was interested in becoming an Electronics Technician (which I did in 1979...)

I promised him that I would become an Amateur radio operator one day -
Time passed. He passed on. But I remembered the promise.

Today I wrote one of my exams -- the Canadian version called the "Basic" with
privileges above 30Mhz.

I scored over 90% (95% I think...) which gave me honors with HF Privileges.
I hope to do the CW and the Advanced shortly.

Depending on the availability, my call sign will be:
-VA7WWV
-VA7RCI or
-VA7EAT

It's kind of a proud and satisfying moment for me that I thought I would share.

Cheers. And 73,

--
Colin Newell - Editor - coffeecrew.com | coffee.bc.ca | DXer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing