[IRCA] Orcas Island Isolated + TPs

At 8:50 AM this morning, some genius driving a bulldozer on an adjacent island did something wrong and knocked out all phone connections between the five occupied islands and with the remainder of the world. When I went to the grocery store after lunch, the residents of this emerald isle were wandering the streets, dazed, tearing their clothes, wailing and rubbing ashes over their faces and hair. The entire archipelago was deep in internet withdrawal for just over 6 hours! The local constabulary was spending all its time explaining "what the *(&%^*$ happened to the internet!!!" to all sorts of angry local citizens. No one seemed at all concerned about the loss of off-island telephone service, but the internet (provided almost exclusively here by DSL) was a very serious matter.

No kidding, no one was talking of anything else at our two local social hotspots: the deli area at the main grocery store and the largest hair styling/barber shop... and everybody was in a foul mood, according to the check-out clerks!!!

Now that we are all reconnected, I can report that what I heard was pretty much like the others.... only fair conditions, with Japan on the lower half of the dial being the best performer. Overall, from 1315 until 1515, I had every channel but three filled below 990. Above that, things were much sparser, with maybe a dozen of the most usual signals in the upper 60% of the band.

The most notable were

702: two signals... pres. Taiwan Fisheries and (I think) a Russian
801: Signal in an unrecognized language... maybe Tagalog, which I have great difficulty identifying.
837: Always a Chinese was, this AM, NHK1 Synchros

**** BRUCE PORTZER NOTE****
936: I have been hearing pres. Anhui RGD for the past 6 weeks or so... and at 1400 or later for at least the past month. I've never heard the EE news that was very regular last year at 1400. I've heard nothing but CC. Anyway, now that dawn here is smack on 1500, I spent some time listening to Anhui from about 1507 until 1515. They were running news with the story in CC, then in EE. Further, at the end of the news, they talked about it being read in "Every Day English." I did not catch their ID at TOH... I was elsewhere, but I'm sure that it was them. I'll keep listening, as it sounds like a schedule change for PAL to me.

My wife came down with a nasty intestinal virus on Tuesday, and I had to abort my trip to Grayland Beach with Guy Atkins this weekend... Linda was just in no shape to be left alone... So, I'll be DXing from here tomorrow morning, too.

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________