Re: [IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Average to Good!

Re: [IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Average to Good!

John,

Thanks for explaining the difference in locations between Walt, Colin,
and yourself. I guess I never really knew where Walt & Colin lived
except in Victoria. From Nick, I learned that he has a lot of QRM from
CFAX being in their beam and close by. Here, CFAX is weak with 35w ERP
in my direction per the CE. But I do remember living in Portland and
trying to DX. It was not easy to do. When I moved out to Hillsboro (West
of Portand) and away from the majority of the QRM,  I started hearing
DUs & TPs again. I guess it all comes down to the real estate slogan
"Location, location, location". I remember well the 4 months I spent in
Rancho Mirage CA in 2000, I did not hear one peep out of any DU or TP. I
even installed an Western EWE, but no ground system, just dry sand.  Of
course there is a large range of mountains between the Coachella Valley
and LA too. John, one advantage you have, are those large trees to
really put up a big EWE. I cannot get the height here unfortunately,
25-30 feet is my limit. However, something 50-60 feet up there may not
survive our winds anyway. As you, my noise level is very low here too.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager