Re: [IRCA] Antenna for LW

Hey Dennis:

Long Wave is everything medium wave is just more so.

The most important feature about long wave is nulling out noise, but signal strength is a challenge too. You would like to get both. If you have the real estate try to phase long wires. Make sure you have a huge ground system. The more radials the better. This band is driven by ground wave. Don't forget to capture it. Using just a ferrite loop might be OK, but you'll need quite a lot of taps or capacitive tricks to make it tune the entire band well. My best advice is to head for a quiet park, find a place where there is a good ground (like a water fountain) and work from there. All the electrical noise in an apartment will make your LW catches difficult if not impossible. Check out the Long Wave Club of America. They have great reads about this region and they are a great bunch of guys. www.lwca.org.

What are you using as a receiver?

Karl Zuk  N2KZ