Re: [IRCA] Last Morning at Grayland: October 10

At 08:01 PM 10/10/2008, you wrote:
>Yesterday, I was still having trouble believing that I'd heard KFQD in Anchorage on the barefooted T615, right over the top of 50 kW KXL-750 in nearby Portland, OR. Whilke I was at the local Library and firmly hooked to the internet, I checked to see if the University of South Carolina even HAD a hockey team (I'd heard them skating against somebody on what I was certain was KFQD, hearing local Anchorage commercials, etc.).  According to the South Carolina web-site, they DO have an ice hockey team, but their season does not start until 24 October. There was no indication of any earlier hockey games on their schedule.  I then checked the KFQD schedule on their website... an all newstalk format and I looked at the U of Alaska, Anchorage for their hockey season. KFQD showed the Beck show on at the time that I thought I'd heard hockey from Anchorage and the University hockey team also had not started their season.  After mulling things over, I decided to take the KFQD logging ou!
 tta my list for both the Unlimited and the Barefoot  Classes... I had not recorded it and there was just NO evidence.... I must have imagined it.

>So, Thursday evening I made up a thorough hit list for Alaska and went to work at 9:15PM local time.  The Wellbrook Array, being able to swap directions, made things fairly easy.  I soon had evidence of a number of Alaskans on frequencies shared with stations in the Pacific Northwest.  As I clicked through 750, THERE WAS A HOCKEY GAME, coming in quite loudly.  I tested it with the array.... Sure enough I could hear KXL to my Southeast and the hockey seemed to be coming from the Northwest!  I listened a few minutes and darned if one of the teams wasn't that crazy buncha Southerners, the South Carolina Gamecocks!!!  Later, there were plenty of local Anchorage commercials, a name of the Anchorage municipal area where the Pre-Season Tournament was taking place, etc.  The boys from South Carolina were well ahead, too.

Hi, John.  Last night (and again tonight) I checked 750.....no Alaska for me, but instead CKJH, IDing as "CK 750".  Both nights they had hockey games as well, incidentally.  ......Walt