Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 18:43:20 -0400
From: "dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] TPs for 9Oct08  Remarkable!
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Walt, "ditto" on your comments from my Puyallup perspective. I set up
Perseus last night with the new "Top of the hour" recording utility, which
actually has more flexibility than just TOH. Beginning with 0500 UTC, I set
up the program to activate Perseus recordings of the entire band for 4
minutes across the bottom of each hour, and 8 minutes across the top of
each hour. I also had it record continuously from 1335 to 1415 UTC.

A quick check of signals around 1400 revealed the entire band knee-deep in
audio, with Japanese, Korean, and Chinese languages heard during the quick
9 kHz checks. 1575 VOA was in very nice at 1410 with Vietnamese or similar, and 531 kHz was in with Japanese that Gary reported yesterday (just to name
a couple...there was LOTS in between). Like you noted, 972 was remarkable.

I'm glad to see that my new Conti Loop is working great and that the
rotating ALA100 is providing lots of signals too, as a few weeks ago when
Gary was finding TP audio on his *ultralights* from the other side of
Puyallup, I didn't even have any 9 kHz hets on Perseus and the Wellbrook
loop! He and I have discussed this, and we think it's due to him being
closer to salt water (Puget Sound) and his local ground conditions
(excellent valley soil vs. the rocky ridge I'm located on). Perhaps this
week's excellent conditions are overriding any disadvantage I may have on
this side of town.

Walt-- give that TOH recorder for Perseus a try; it's easy to set up and
use.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com