[IRCA] Day Three at Grayland: October 9th

[IRCA] Day Three at Grayland: October 9th

Well, sure enough, the propagation changed, and it DID move more solidly to China and away from Japan. Frequencies like 837 and 1386 that had offered Japanese stations for the past two mornings were solidly held by Chinese this morning. Unfortunately, overall signals were down some, too, so the morning was not really as productive as I'd hoped.

I spent a lot of time on several channels that seemed to promise wonderful things, but eventually collapsed into mutters, gurgles and burps. For instance at 1345 and again at 1430 (just after max dawn) I had a CC station doing very well on 990. It was doing so well that I had it on all three radios (Winradio 313e, mod-E100 and T615). I think that it was probably the Shanghai News Station that I'd love to log.... but it collapsed before any sort of ID happened. So, too, 810. KGO seemed to be suppressed in the later part of the morning and the Wellbrook was slamming it into the noise. There were two stations fighting it out, neither were the KCBS flamethrower. One was Chinese and I think that it was probably Zhejiang News from coastal Hangzhou. I'm "almost certain" that the other was a Radio Rossii outlet // the long wave signals... I'd love to add either or both to the log.... but not this morning!

I'm rather pleased, though, with the few that I did manage to log. I added some nice ones to the Unlimited Class log, a few to the Barefoot log.... and I FINALLY nailed 549 NHK1, Naha, Okinawa.... a new station overall.

Unlimited Class Loggings (mod. E100 + Wellbrook Phased Array)
549 JOAP NHK1, Naha, Okinawa with typical discussion and interviews //594 at 1435

750 KFQD Anchorage, Alaska excellent with local ads and announcements, carrying college hockey, vs. South Carolina (!) Really hard to believe that this was wiping out nearby KXL, 50 kW in Portland, but it was at 0330, even on the T615

1188 HLKX FEBC Inchon, S. Korea at 1146 with EE Christian program

Barefoot Class Loggings (Sony SRF-T615)
693 JOAB NHK2, Tokyo //774 with EE lesspons very late at 1446

750 KFQD Anchorage, Alaska excellent with local ads and announcements, carrying college hockey, vs. South Carolina (!) Really hard to believe that this was wiping out nearby KXL, 50 kW in Portland, but it was at 0330, even on the T615.

890 CJDC Dawson Creek, BC with their typical country music show, topping probable KBBI, Homer, AK 0400

1206 Yanbian RGD  Yanji, Jilin Chinese KK Service at 1149 Excellent level

1377 CNR1 Synchros //945 at 1157 on through TOH

1700 XEPE, Tecate, BCN with typical syndicated EE talk programming... IDs as "San Diego's 1700."

I'm really happy with JOAP 594 Naha. I've wanted to get a really good log on them for years. They are so much more difficult to hear than most JJs since Okinawa is so far to the south of the Japanese Home Islands. Its nice to get that burden behind me.... now for the QSL.

I also probably finally got the Tianjin station on 1386. A Chinese station was topping 1386 near band fade at 1500 that sure "sounded right." The co-channel NHK2 stations came up enough for me to hear their music box theme as they signed off, but I think that I got enough of the Chinese to compare to a recording that Chuck was nice to provide to me and maybe I can get some translation help, too. I've always wanted to hear a Tianjin station... that is the big port city on the Yellow Sea, 45 miles from Beijing. I spent a month there as a Visiting Professor in the late 1970s. That was right before I got back into radio.... and all that I had with me was an AM radio. I listened to quite a few hours of late Maoist harangues and AWFUL classical Chinese opera. Now for a QSL :>)

Well, so much for the third morning.... I'll DX until band fade tomorrow and then quickly pack and head north for the ferry. I'll try to have the fourth report on Saturday.

After two very nice sunny days down here in the coast, today dawned with showers. However, there is sun to the west!!!

John B.