[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 9-30- Sony SRF-S84 Saves the Day

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 9-30- Sony SRF-S84 Saves the Day

Good Morning,

     It was quite obvious at first check (1315) that  last night's great TA
conditions had somehow fizzled out, at least at this  modest DX location.  The
powerhouses and a few other seasonal powers had  good audio, but there were
only anemic carriers on the other frequencies I was  chasing (945,1035, 1143,
etc.), so I decided to try for a new kind of  thrill.

     JOAK-594 was booming in at 1349, so I grabbed the  smallest Ultralight
on the planet, the 1.19" loopstick Sony SRF-S84 (1.4  ounces).  The radio
practically looks like an attachment to the  headphone plug. Anyway, after some
serious tuning and nulling of CKBD-600,  I had a decent heterodyne on the
ultra-tiny radio, and proceeded to wait for the  TP signal to come up.  It finally
did!  JOAK-594 was received at  my very modest, salt-water free location on the
smallest Ultralight on the  planet.  What a thrill!

    Which points out the biggest advantage of Ultralight  DXing--  you can
choose your own challenge level, from the "full pachage"  modified E100 (with
performance exceeding that of a stock ICF-2010 or E1) down  to the microscopic
SRF-S84, which forces you to use all your DXing skill for the  strongest of
TP's.  What a great new way to enjoy a great hobby!

     73, Gary