?

Steve Francis

Alcoa, Tennessee

Sanyo stereo

Select-a-tenna

Intermatic timer

?

With the faraway stuff hard to pull in nowadays, I decided to concentrate on some close-by DX this summer.? Phasing the Sanyo stereo's built-in AM antenna against the Select-a-tenna, I discovered I can get a deep null on Knoxville's WITA-1490 during critical hours, not just at night.? Spending much of the summer rolling tape on 1490, I was rewarded with two long-sought stations.

?

1490?? WCSV? TN? Crossville - 8/1 1900 EDT - Fair in local WITA's null with "WCSV Crossville, a Peg Broadcasting station - the Plateau's home for ESPN Radio!"? Was my second-closest unheard at 60 miles.? After 30+ years (ever since they vacated 1520) of needing WCSV, I can now hear traces of their ESPN under WITA at high noon!

?

1490?? WCHM? GA? Clarkesville - 7/10 2000 - Poor in local WITA's null with "WCHM Clarkesville", then Fox news.? Was my third-closest unheard at 86 miles.

?

1600?? WCGO? IL? Chicago Heights?- 6/14 2200 - Faint with calmly spoken "WCGO Chicago Heights", then ABC news.

?

1600?? WATX? TN? Algood - 6/21 0700 - Fair ending Wilburn Brothers tune, then " ... new home for country, Classic Country 1600, WATX Algood- Cookeville. ?Classic Country 1600!", into another oldie.? Now here, ex-1590.

?

73,

sf?

?