[IRCA] TP Reprt from Masset for 4Sep08 Disturbed!

[IRCA] TP Reprt from Masset for 4Sep08 Disturbed!

TP report from Masset  4 Sep08  DISTURBED!

What can I say, but disturbed!  Listening was a challenge this morning.  Strange to say the least.  First a brief note on last night’s TA (or total lack there-of!).  There was virtually nothing to be heard….189, 1215 and 1377 yielded smatterings of audio, and that was about it.

Now onto this morning.  Listened from 12:32 to 14:29.  I knew something was up when the LW band was practically dead with only 2 Russians in weakly on 153 and 279.  On MW things also started very slowly.  Overall signal strengths were mostly down and highly variable.  I note there has been moderate solar activity and G2 Geomagnetic storms with SF at 66, A 7, and K (12:00) 4.  Explains a lot, I suppose!

1566 for example, had the usual HLAZ on very strong, but during some dead air at 13:45, presumed 3NE just blasted in for a brief period only.  Brisbane was in very strongly on 612 at 13:35, not earlier, nor later.  Instead JOLK was there at 9 level at 13:50 along with a cochannel Filipino.  4QD Emerald was also present on 1548 at 13:44 with a 9 signal.  Also had weak English on 675 at 12:29, but couldn’t tell whether Australia or NZ.

My favourite for the morning was 1017 with a Filipino, 9 at times, with a call-in show and Karioke (or local renditions of popular songs which sounded pretty flat to me!).  Never did get an ID despite quite a lot of monitoring.  Other stations would fade in and out, usually JOLB, but occasionally a CC station too.  I’ll have to check my Perseus files for this one.  The best antenna this morning was probably the ALA 100 large loop oriented 210/30 degrees….strange, but it worked well.  The N mini-Beverage was almost as good, but wasn’t quite as good for the DU stuff.  The WB array and NW BOG were mostly useless!

A number of other Filipinos were also heard including 999 at 14:00 without any ID.  I did not hear the RRI station today.  A thought on yesterday’s RRI….wonder whether they’re on for Ramadan which started at the end of August.  Perhaps!

Finally got a nice ID for KTWG, Guam at 13:57.

Not much Russian activity this morning, apart from Mayak weakly on 549, and 720 VOR JJ with a cochannel on 719.9.  The North Koreans were better with 621 being // to 656.98 (at 9 level at 14:22).

963 had virtually no sign of CRI in Russian…very unusual!

1170 had VOA very strong in CC at 14:16.

1422 JORF had some company on 1422.8.  No idea who.

1467 with 2 cochannels…prob JJ and KK, also had someone on 1476.07.  By the way, have not heard anything from Malaysia on 1475 for a few days now.
1557 WYFR was pretty strong at 14:07 in slow English.

648, once again, carried VOA in KK with an English clip at 14:23, along with a cochannel and 647.87.

2 points especially for Bruce Portzer and the PAL.  Yesterday while reviewing my Perseus files, I heard the Voice of Russia IS at 14:00 on 1251, 1269 and 1323.  I don’t recall seeing anything about VOR on the latter 2 frequencies.  Not sure about languages.

That’s it for today.  Have a great day, and I do hope things settle down!............Walt.