Re: [IRCA] EWE Up and running in Carlisle UK! (off topic)

Re: [IRCA] EWE Up and running in Carlisle UK! (off topic)

That's my plan Russ. Getting out of bed at 4  in the morning is the problem for this old guy hi!

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   --- On Wed, 8/27/08, BARRY DAVIES wrote:

> From: BARRY DAVIES
> Subject: Re: [IRCA] EWE Up and running in Carlisle UK! (off topic)
> Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 5:45 PM
> Hello Patrick
> That sounds like very efficient EWE. I use 936 Fresh
> Radio to my South East to null Germany and Holland. I start
> at S9 and can drop the signal strength to S4-5 leaving a lot
> of shush and traces of Fresh Radio. At night I have a
> spluttering Holland on 1008 and a substantive signal from
> Spain at due South of me.
> Barry

What you're hearing could be atmospherics in the absence of any signals, or it could be background noise or some of both. With less directional antennas, you have more signals coming in from other directions and so you hear those. The more efficient the directional antenna, the tighter the pattern and therefore the smaller the number of stations with readable signals on any given frequency. You may want to do some serious comparisons to what you normally used to hear and see where that fits with the anticipated pattern of the new antenna.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id