Re: [IRCA] Skywave Noise

At 04:09 PM 8/13/2008, you wrote:
>Craig,
>
>Walt Salmaniw would be a good choice for someone to "put a BOG at the end
>of a peninsula aimed straight out to
>sea". His vacation cottage on the Queen Charlotte Islands (BC) is a few
>miles from an incredible, very isolated
>peninsula jutting out into the Pacific. The view of the ocean and the
>Hecate Strait is nearly 360 degrees around!
>
>Perhaps he could take a 4x4 vehicle (the only way to access the property)
>to the location, power his laptop and
>Perseus receiver by battery, and check the noise levels through the sunset
>period. However, he may need to camp
>and spend the night there to do this investigation; the poor excuse for a
>road to get there and back is treacherous
>even in the daytime.
>
>Alternatively, his cottage is also quite remote with a low noise level, and
>on the Pacific facing Alaska. The same test
>with an SDR (due to the typically very accurate signal meters) right from
>his cottage would be informative due to its
>isolation and long distance from broadcasters.
>
>Walt, are you up to some DXing from the Queen Charlottes in the name of
>research? <g>
>
>Guy Atkins
>Puyallup, WA USA
>www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com

Funny you should mention that, Guy.  In fact, I'm getting prepared to head up there Friday (arriving Sunday).  Having just purchased a deep cycle 12v marine battery, and a 6 v Pb-Acid gel battery in series, and wired everything just right, it'll easily power my Dell laptop overnight and all day the next day.  On top of that, I have a very accurate 5v voltage regulator to power the Perseus......this I did to try my luck out at Rose Spit, the peninsula you mention, which is at least 20 miles from any power line (and probably more) and some 40 to 50 miles offshore.  This sounds like an ideal, near zero site for experiments and dx-peditions.  I'm hoping to spend a night out there, and if things go really well, perhaps I'll do it more than once.  I'll report back in the next month!.......Walt.