[IRCA] Mea Culpa: 5CC

The TPers here will remember my "nearly/actually certain" logging of 5CC Port Lincoln on 765 kHz. from ten days ago. This 765 signal has been a persistent threshold or just above signal all of this summer season and has been driving me crazy.... Trying to distinguish between 5CC and 2EC, Bega NSW..... with both running an Oldies/pops format. The station seemed to pay little attention to TOH or BOH IDing and had few, if any commercials that late at night. On the recent DXpedition, there was low level audio on 765 every morning. The programming was pops/rock, but the level was so low that I had never even been able to ID a single record, before. Finally on this DXpedition, one of the first mornings, I clearly heard about 2/3 of "Knock Three Times" from the 1970 "Candida" album by Tony Orlando and Dawn.... the signal then settled back into rock and roll murmurs. The next morning, at last, I heard a quiet ID by a woman. I wasn't sure of the call letters, but I heard "Port Lincoln" clearly. Touchdown! Problem solved, success at last. I heard fair to low 765 audio a couple more times during the DXpedition and recorded about 5 minutes of it each time, hoping for another ID or clue at a better level... no luck and consistent pop rock/roll murmurs.

When I started doing reception reports back here on Orcas, I decided to use CoolEdit to try to pull up those call letters or at least clarify the words "Port Lincoln" so that the station staff might also hear them. Well, I wasn't successful... I couldn't understand the call letters at all and, actually, the only word that was unmistakable was "PORT." Even the "Lincoln" was quite suspect. Finally, the thought popped into my brain "This isn't English!" and my life passed before my eyes. I knew and had even mentioned that the third possibility was Radio Kuhungunu, an all-Maori station in Napier-Hastings, New Zealand! But, heck, a Maori station playing all pop rock and Tony Orlando from 1970????!!!

I should have known better.... when I was on Easter Island last year, I listened to the local community station a lot: RADIO MANUKENA. They played almost exclusively pop rock. About half of it was in Spanish, mostly from Chile (they are Chilean territory.) The other half was pop rock from around Polynesia.... Easter Island, Cooks, Tahiti, Hawaii and NEW ZEALAND, with every record being in some Polynesian dialect. They played almost no traditional Polynesian singing. I should not have been surprised that there is a fairly vibrant popular music scene around Polynesia and Melanesia... there is almost every place else and, at low levels, it tends to sound like USA/Brit pop. Well, nuts! I blew that one.

I went back through my five other recordings of 765 and sure enough, there is one that it is CLEAR is a pop rock song in Polynesian. I don't know how to explain Tony Orlando being on the air.... either that reception was, in fact, from one of the two Aussies - it fits their format - or more likely, Radio Kuhungunu tossed in a Tony Orlando and Dawn just for the heck of it.

This morning, a report, with a CD containing four separate recordings from 765, including that "ID" went in the mail, to Radio Kuhungunu. Here's hoping! Its only 2.5 kW.

Hummmm there are several lessons for me here....

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest