Re: [IRCA] a New Zealand summer?

At 13:02 7/20/2008, you wrote:

>HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTED THAT THIS SEEMS A "NEW ZEALAND YEAR?"  Ever since the summer season really got started, Kiwis have just seemed more prominent than usual... not stronger than usual (except for 675 and 963) but just more of them, more often, relative to the Aussies. Certainly at Grayland this last time, the Kiwi stations dominated. I'm writing 5 reception reports and 4 are to Kiwis. I've many more unverified east coast Aussies than I do Kiwis.... Maybe too small a sample to say for sure, but the New Zealand stations sure seem more prominent to me.  Comments???

In partial answer, John, a quote from my "heard" posting from two days ago:  "The DU's didn't really happen in comparison (and seemed to be NZ or islands)".   I suspect you're right, at least for the last few weeks.   Also, when summer Asian conditions are better, as they have been the past few mornings, my impression is that it is New Zealanders that appear after the Asians have faded out.  When Asians are not so good, Australians are more likely to appear with sunrise.   Just an "impression" mind you, no hard facts.

One caveat, this is the first year that I've made an effort to listen at dawn at this time of year; normally I don't start until the end of July, when dawn starts to coincide more closely with my normal time to get out of bed, so I don't really have much to compare it with, except for occasional  DXpeditions to the coast.

best wishes,

Nick