Re: [IRCA] DU's on Stock Ultralights-- Once in a Blue Moon

Re: [IRCA] DU's on Stock Ultralights-- Once in a Blue Moon

Hello Patrick,

     Thanks for your observations.  I was also an  AM-DXer chasing TP's and
DU's with portables around 1979-80, but found little  time to DX, as a Navy
sonar technician.  As I recall, Aussies and Kiwis  were quite easy to receive on
my ICF-S5W around sunrise, once my ship got away  from the west coast QRM.
Back then, "consumer portables" suitable for  AM-DXing were very rare.. maybe
the RF-2200, Superradios, ICF-S5W, and a few  others.  Digital readout, synch
detection and narrow filters were  unknown.  But we still had fun, didn't we?

                                                73,  Gary