[IRCA] TPs From Grayland, Monday, July 7, 2008: Below Par

[IRCA] TPs From Grayland, Monday, July 7, 2008: Below Par

Once again, my morning was saved by Ultralighting. Using the 313e, conditions were clearly sub-par. With sunrise here at about 1220, I had nothing above threshold audio until 1115. From then, there was a mixture of Kiwi, Aussie and a few of our oldest friend JJs making it to language recognition until things finally got just a bit better in the final 30 minutes before dawn. More prominent among the early mumbles were:

567 Nat Radio Wellington
594 JOAK Tokyo, briefly good`at 1135 (the JJs seemed to peak about 1135 to 1140)
657//963 New Zealand's Southern Star
693 DU mumbles, Probably Radio Sport Dunedin
774: DU on one set of loops, JJ on the other. Both at 6.9999
774 JOUB Akita briefly good at 1138 // much poorer 828
792 RN Brisbane at a 7 briefly at 1104
1098 DU EE about equal with Marshalls carrier. Presume ZB Christchurch
1116 4BC Brisbane 7 at 1128
1287 JOHR Sapporo almost at lang recognition

 MAX DAWN: from 1150 UTC

558 Radio Fiji One, Suva heard at 1250... 30 minutes after dawn briefly at excellent level // much poorer 639
567 N Radio, Wellington excellent at 1230
639 Fiji Radio One. Great Polynesian/Melanesian choir program from 1210 until about 1230. Good on peaks
702 2BL Sydney good (8) at 1153 with talk
738 2NR Grafton, ABC ID at 1215, Level of 8+ was best of AM.
783 Access Radio, Wellington (pres.) with Polynesian program good at 1240

900 KNUI, Kahalui, Maui was noted beneath the durn Victoria flamethrower throughout the morning, thanks to the Wellbrook Array. KNUI came up after dawn and just blasted in for about 20 minutes. Fabulous.

990 KHBZ Honolulu heard dominating frequency at 1300 with a 3 AM time check before the news. Was pretty well gone by 1306

1017 As I tuned past at 1246, a half hour after dawn, caught a very nice "Radio Hauraki" (Christchurch, NZ) ID and then the signal dropped like a stone

The post-dawn Hawaiians were a happy accident and were really blasting in. 558 Suva was also a nice addition to the summer's log as 639 has` been my only regular Fijian for some time.

The morning was made a lot more special though by adding three TPs JOAK-594, 2NR-738 Grafton and Access Radio-783, Wellington to my Ultralight log. Also added were the Hawaiians, 900 KNUI and 990 KHBZ. Although I have a number of Ultralights here with me to test, the E100 with the Wellbrook Phased Array was the DX machine of choice.

Interesting observation: there were a couple of times where I had a chance to test the "ultimate sensitivity" of the E100 against the 313e, which has the best working sensitivity I've ever found in A/B testing of receivers using TPs as targets. There were a couple of times where there was no adjacent channel interference at all (even on the E100) for signals that were just at or almost at language recognition (but no more) on the 313e. I could not hear them at all on the E100, despite being hooked to the same antenna. I look forward to doing the Atkins filter mod on the E100 in hopes that the improved signal/noise ratio might get the E100 up into the Top DX Machine category.... wouldn't that be something!

Well, despite sub-par conditions, it was still a fun morning!

I'll be here three more mornings and will try to report in from the local Library in nearby Westport, WA, each day.

John Bryant
Winradio 313e + Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array at SW and NW
Grayland, WA, USA