Re: [IRCA] EWE Antenna question. (2nd attempt!)

Re: [IRCA] EWE Antenna question. (2nd attempt!)

Cheers Martin for the operating tip. I have a mixing box using two antennas. The mid day null is easy. The night null is harder with the skip. Is the day null just as good for the night with the EWE antenna?
  Barry

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Barry,

Yes, John is right. I forgot to mention the varible resistor too. I use
a 2K as it is easier to peak than my old 5K ones. Often in our wet soil,
I need to repeak the control between Winter & Summer depending on how
much water is in the ground. I find the better the ground I install and
the mosture in the ground, the better the nulls are. One reason I use
several ground rods is because the ground at times does dryout a bit
more in mid Summer. I find a station in 180 degrees off, or as close as
I can find, to adjust the control for the deepest null. In the case of
the NW EWE, Portland stations are 180 degrees off to the SE, so
adjusting the control for a deep null is easy. Here, I try to do it in
midday with as little skip as possible as it is easier to adjust a
steady signal than something that fades. To give you an idea how deep a
null can be obtained, is 800 khz KPDQ Portland, 1 KW. Generally about S9
at 75 air miles. With the NW EWE, I can get the nulls down to sometimes,
below S1 and the station barely audible.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager