Re: [IRCA] EWE Antenna question. (2nd attempt!)

Re: [IRCA] EWE Antenna question. (2nd attempt!)

Barry,

I've operated EWEs from the classic size that you quote up to 70' x 100'. They are VERY forgiving of everything except a poor ground, as others have said. I've also shown experimentally that EWEs act like the upper half of a loop (the lower half being reflected by the ground.... That means that theoretically (I think) a EWE has about double the gain of a Conti Super Loop or similar. In my tests, instead of double the gain, it was about 60% more for the EWE, when the dimensions were the same. HOWEVER, if you can't get a R*E*A*L*L*Y good ground, the Conti Loop or other ground dependant single turn loop is the way to go. What I've done here on Orcas Island is erect my large antennas first as EWEs and then, later tried them out as Super loops... the conversion is a ten minute job. It turned out that here, built almost on bedrock, I was not getting good grounds despite a lot of work and $. The Conti Super Loops had much superior S/N, so the loss in gain just wasn't important, in this application.

 John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, UltraLights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest