Re: [IRCA] 25 June from Orcas Island: Comparisons to Victoria

Re: [IRCA] 25 June from Orcas Island: Comparisons to Victoria

John, I had a chance to look at most of your frequencies.  Despite the short distance between us, you absolutely blew me out of the water.  My results are quite disappointing especially considering how well I was receiving the DUs in the fall.  I seem to be plagued by lots of noise in my shack.  Whether or not it's of local origin, from my home, or neighbours is unclear at this time.  Looks like I'm going to have to have a close look at everything, especially before the start of the fall dx season.  My comments will be added to each frequency.  In most cases, I was able to "tune" the Perseus recording to the same time as your loggings.  So here goes,..........Walt.

At 06:24 AM 6/25/2008, you wrote:
>Finally, me, the cat and propagation were all on the same page!
>
>Was an excellent Low Band morning for me. I listened from 1150 until 1230, with sunrise about 1220. From tune in (774@7+ when I turned the radio on) until 1211, it was ALL Aussie, without even much NZ in the way of hets. From 1211 until 1220, there was a short, sharp peak for NZ, with 675 and 756 briefly being legit 8s and wisps of audio from 855 (Rhema Hamilton?), 963 (Christchurch) 1098 under Marshalls carrier (Christchurch?). Late, the Aussies were back, with 612 being an 8 at 1227.  Actually, 612 was the star of the show, being at 7 level or more almost every time that I cranked by.
>
>Walter, you are right, between 1210 and 1215 or so, National Radio NZ was playing "EZ listening mx."  It was a female saloon jazz singer. I had them 756//the synchros on 837//675.
>
>Since this is the first day that Walter and I can really compare DU systems this season, here are mosta my notes, audios only:
>
>531 7@ 1209      Nothing at all except for a "3" het.

>567 T @1153     A "5" at best

>612 Rockin' w/ 8@ 1210 and 1225   A "7" here at 12:10.  Normally this one booms in to my shack in the Fall....8 and even 9 level.

>639 Island talk at 1201  A "6" here.  For some reason, this morning appears to have been not as good as yesterday (for me anyway).  639 was heard better for sure then.

>675 @ 8 from 1211 to 1217 // others     Only a "3"  here.

>684 T@ 1155   No chance with CBU 690 blasting away.

>702 T@ 1155   A "6" .  Also heard on the 7030+ at same level at 12:17

>747 T@ 1156   Noisy channel on the Perseus.  Did get a "6" with the 7030+ around 12:15.

>756 Piano at 1156, //837 @ 7 1213 //675 NZ Nat. Radio Auckland     A "7" here, but nothing on 765.

>765 Music @ 1203... Argues for 5CC Port Lincoln; Talk at 6+ @1218       Nope.

>774 DU talk @ 1212 Level 6.5, 7 late until 1230      Local noise ++, but noted with a 4 het on the 7030+

You didn't mention 819......Nice "7" signal at 12:13 with Radio New Zealand Taranga (// to audio feed on-line).

>828 T @ 1213     Another noisy frequency.

>837// 756 National Radio Saloon Singer, 8 briefly @ 1211     A weak "7" at 12:14.

>846 T@1206  2 or 3 carrier only.

>855 T@1214, 1219   Barely a "6" here, but only to 12:15 when my session ended with Perseus.

>891 Horse Race? 7@1157; sounds like ABC at 1206   No hope with Village 900.

I heard 1008 with a "6" signal at 12:11

>1017 DU Talk at 1207 @6.5     A "6" here.

>1026 T @1207        4 to 5 carrier only.

>1098 Not much at all until right at dawn, then good open carrier       Loud OC here as well.

>1098 Talk under or with Big Carrier @1222... sounds DU (NTalk ZB, Christchurch?)      Did not hear any talk.

>1116 DU talk @7 1208     A "6" here

I also had weak audio "6's" on 1242, 1332, and a good "7" with Hindi music on 1386  (this one at 12:08)

>1512 DU talk at 6.5 briefly @ 1216      A "5" level around 12:06.
>
>Considering that the Vancouver/Victoria metro flamethrowers are pretty much cheek to cheek from 900 kHz. down, I feel pretty good about the above.... Man, this would have been a wonderful morning to be at Grayland.
>
>Walter, even if it takes you until the weekend, I hope that you can compare the above to your Perseus file. We'd both like to know how our systems compare for DUs and I'd like to know how much I missed by not using Perseus - my guess is that I missed maybe 20% or less of the audio, but had we been at the Coast under these cx, I'd probably miss 2/3.... just too much to cover live????

John, compared to my observations, you indeed did very well.  Not sure what's happening at my end, but I'm not all too pleased with the results.  My large 334 degree Conti corner fed loop has not been altered at all since last fall, and seems to be standing up perfectly fine to the elements.  I'll just need to keep an eye out for local noise.  Time to turn off some of the extraneous electronics in the shack to start!  ..............Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC