Re: [IRCA] DTV STB advice needed (OT?)

http://www.tvpredictions.com/consumer062308.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Glenn Hauser
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 3:39 PM
To: dxld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; abdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; tvfmdx@xxxxxxxxxx;
irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IRCA] DTV STB advice needed (OT?)

I`ve got to redeem my CECB coupons in the next few days. No Best Buy or
Circuit City unless I go to a big city, which would sort of wipe out the
value of the coupons (unless I can rationalize that by going to OKC, Tulsa
or Wichita for some other reasons). I was planning on getting a Zenith and
Insignia which seem to be top-rated among DXers.

Inquiring of the stores in Enid which do have CECB (or can have them), I get
Digital Streams mentioned more than once. Radio Shack has (or rather can
order) the DTX9950 with analog passthru. Is that the specific one DX people
have panned?

Hastings is selling the Digital Stream DSP 7500 which does not have analog
pass-thru.

A local dealer has on order the Lasonic LTR-260, the Artec T3A Pro, and a
Philco, probably TB100HH9 or 150HH9 which he says is virtually identical to
the Magnavox, which has also been panned.

Kmart are handling Magnavox only.

Walmart here has RCA only, DTA800A, tho someone said they have Magnavox.

Most of these do not have analog passthru, but we are in a weak signal area
OTA (100+ km from OKC), and local dealer says there is a lot of loss with
the passthru so it`s better just to bypasss the unit altogether for analog.

So I am wondering if APT should be the deciding factor in which I buy (or
can get).

I`d appreciate any advice at this point on which to avoid or to go out of my
way for. Especially if anyone has first hand experience with some of the
more obscure models mentioned.

Thanks, Glenn Hauser, Enid