[IRCA] VICTORIA VISIT

Over this past weekend, I was up in the Parksville area of BC for a Rotary conference. I took along the 2010 and the Palomar loop but heard nothing of great consequence. The band, simply put, was not very lively - and I was right on the water. Of note, at least for me: (1) suspiciously loud KHHO-850 after LSS 5/30, topping KOA and (2) CHQB-1280 Powell River fair days; not a big deal there but I have never heard a peep out of them in Tacoma. On Sunday afternoon at 3 in Victoria, that had to be CJGX on 940 with country music (very weak). That's a little early, but with that format, who else could it have been?

CBU-690 had a very usable signal driving back down to Victoria from Parksville. I don't see them going away any time soon.

And finally, I had a nice dinner with Nick and Susan Hall-Patch in Victoria. After dinner, Walt Salmaniw and Colin Powell dropped by. With their sophisticated antenna set-ups and equipment and technical knowledge, I really can't compete. However, it was fun drooling as they discussed their TA and TP receptions. I appreciate reading about what they all are picking up and sharing the info. Nick, you were at your burbling best!

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 + Kiwa air core loop