Re: [IRCA] kugr am to fm

Robbie j. wrote:
Hey All, As most know by now, ksl am is simalcast on fm.(A lot of
stations are doing this now) Kugr 1490 of green river wyoming is now
also on 104.9 fm as of this morning.(thrusday) Sounds good so far. I
just hope that this isn`t some stopgap mesure by these stations
untill they go fm compleatly and shut down the am transmitters for
good! Good dx to all, Robbie in wyoming

It should be noted that what KSL is doing and what KUGR is doing are completely different beasts. KSL-FM on 102.7 is a full-power license that happens to be simulcasting the programming of KSL(AM). KUGR's new FM signal on 104.9 is a translator that's relaying the AM 1490 programming under Special Temporary Authority (STA). The FCC has granted several dozen such STAs over the last year or so, while it contemplates providing blanket permission for any AM station to use an FM translator.

Both the KSL-AM/FM simulcast and the KUGR FM translator are driven by the same idea - that younger listeners won't even sample AM anymore, and that programming has to be on FM to reach them. Is that valid? It certainly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...I suspect the other fairly viable AMs in Salt Lake, for instance (KNRS 570, KFNZ 1320, maybe KZNS 1280) get a little less sampling now that much of KSL's audience has migrated to FM and no longer has as much reason to be punching the AM button at all.

Does that mean KSL will be pulling the plug on 1160? Not anytime soon. I suspect some of the AMs now using FM translators would silence their AM signals if they could (I'm thinking of WEJL 630 Scranton/WBAX 1240 Wilkes-Barre PA, for instance, now heard on two 96.1 translators in the area), but then the translator would have nothing to translate!