Re: [IRCA] NE Illinois & NE Oregon TPs, Saturday

Re: [IRCA] NE Illinois & NE Oregon TPs, Saturday

Steve's loggings the past few days inspired me to leave the DX truck hooked up to my west Phased BOG System last night as cx were OK and rather quite for this time of year. Waking up presunrise is not part of my daily activity here, but I awoke with the onset of light and went out to the truck and was not disappointed. Tuned around a bit and soon ~ 1020utc (sunrise is 1035 here) after messing around 531, I think was not TP and some TIS was somewhat off freq since didn't seem spot on 531, found bits of a 612 signal, (WTMJ/WMT IBOC sandwich has meant the end of any chance for this which was near threshold audio level a year ago) and up to 702 and a nice het ripping up the remains of WLW which was fading to groudwave. Over to 738 and a decent het there and noting CHWO fading but 702 was stronger and suffering less from WGN 720 superlocal IBOC than was weaker 738 !

Phasing out WLW's mostly weak groundwave and finally at 1031 I was rather sure there was threshold audio on 702 with male talk, but too weak to identify even the language as EE, but distinct from the equal level remaining trace of WLW back over to 700. Audio stayed at threshold level for about a minute and once we hit SR, as always, anything DU took a quick dive to at best weak trivial hets. I tried 738, but WRPQ had come on at 1030 providing enough QRM to block any chance.

So while, I am almost certain of threshold audio from 702 I can't count it as it just wasn't good enough to meet even my rather lax standards for split freq DX. This however, is the best I've done from IL for non X band Aussie audio.

Steve says this was a poor morning but his previous two morning's reports indicate good cx. I wonder what happens here if I catch a real good morning ? Perhaps enough oomph on 702 to hear real audio like I did for a few minutes from Wisconsin last Sept when I could certainly tell an Aussie accented gal was interviewing some guy on peaks.

Re: 891...not a trace of even a het, and never had anything a weak one against WLS (45 miles SSE and not overpowering on these BOGs) Re: 1116 have had carriers in past, but forget about it now with KFAB/KMOX/ & even WISN IBOC sandwich.
Re: 594 have had carriers, nada this morn
Re: 1098...unusual in that there was no trace of a carrier, but Marshalls is a more northerly route here than to Australia/NZ.

Re: Rossii LW..never a trace, but likely need to wait for fall/winter, but LW is a mess of beacons here.

Night IBOC now clobbers several freq's (not all ment) where I have had TP's carriers over the years from the midwest. (It off course, is a real issue for TA's as well)

I am curious about 576. A nice 50 kWer in Sydney, an east coastal city and certainly in a location to propagate eastward across the Pacific. Noting how well 702 gets out, and that I have basically no severe QRM on 570 or 580 presunrise, why have a never had more than a trace weak het ?

Steve, a few antenna things. In comparing your last few day's reports it seems that the Wellbrook setup is a bit better with loops, or do you need more testing ?

Your LW's are unterminated 1600 ft Beverages 450 ft apart being used over the shoulder. That's a lot of directivity and low angle response, and signal grabbing ability for other systems to compete against. Have you tried working the two wires together in phase, (should be a somewhat more narrow beam) to see if you can get a bit more oomph on DU's ?

How does the Wellbrook Phaser compare to your own ? I have a Wellbrook System here to test, and will do so in WI soon.

73 KAZ Barrington IL  R8A 600ft //425 Phased BOG System at 273 deg

Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:06 AM
Subject: [IRCA] NE Oregon TPs, Saturday

Poor for MW TP this morning. 891 the best, presumed 4TAB with the usual racing format, poor/weak, rising to occasional brief weak level. Other DU: 594 poor with occasional DU talk; 702 poor, DU talk; 738 poor, DU talk; 1116 poor, DU talk--all 1215-1240 utc.
LWBC Radio Rossii poor today too with 180 poor/weak, 1214 utc.

I switched the prototype Wellbrook broadband phaser from the active 20' verticals to the 100' loops with ALA100s. When 891 was at its peak level, the signal was just barely heard on the phaser. More comparisons are needed, but I think no matter if active verticals or active loops are used, it's not quite up to the performance of a 1600' longwire when signals are just barely audible.
Steve
NE Oregon
R75, AR7030, longwires, Wellbrook broadband phaser