Re: [IRCA] Weak Sunspot cycle?

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am currently listening to CKNW 980 Vancouver and the host is
> interviewing an Australian scientist, Dr. Phillip Chapman that says,
> this new sunspot cycle is overdo by a year, which could produce this
> coming one as a weak cycle. A educated guess, this cycle may bring on
> period of climate change, but not global warming, but global cooling.
> The last time a cycle like this showed up was in the 1800's when you
> could skate across the Themes. Any "global warming" or "global
> cooling"
> is an educated guess anyway. But it is interesting to hear Dr,
> Chapman
> talk about a weak cycle with few sunspots. What effect will this have
> on
> the coming DX season, if true?

*** Recent cycles have become more erratic in terms of historical
cycles. There have been some experts who saw signs that the new cycle
had started about a year ago while others aren't sure it has even now.
A larger group seemed to think it started only within the past 4 months
or so. There are lots of different theories, but nobody really knows,
and any predictions made are mostly guesswork at this point, but prior
ones have indicated a more active one this time, so....

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id