Re: [IRCA] CKKW-1090 / Hash

Here, even the slightest IBOC noise does a number on adjacent
frequencies, that wipes out a lot of the weaker DX. An example is 1220.
Still a good frequency here for long haul Midwest/Eastern DX wth the
beverage, but Medford OR on 1230 (presumed) runs IBOC now. Even though
the beverage nulls Medford at over 300 miles. I don't hear Medford off
the beverage, not at all, but the IBOC hash does get into 1220. The
lower sideband is clear of 1220, but that suffers from local splatter
from 1230-KKEE-Astoria. The upper sideband (farther away from 1230),
suffers from IBOC noise, but away from the KKEE splatter. The IBOC hash
is not strong enough to wipe out anything with strength, so in setting
up the timer on 1220 and listening back the next day to :58-:02, some
hours, the weak signals will barely peak above the hash. But most people
would never detect the hash, with a beverage and low QRN here, IBOC is
in alot of places and a big pest. That IBOC hash skips out easier that
anything I have ever heard. Considering Medford runs 1 KW, so IBOC would
be no more that 10 watts, and considering 300 miles and a direct null to
the South with the beverage, I must be getting flea power of 1-2 watts
maybe? If that? But of course I am assuming the hash is coming from 1230
Medford. But that is the most likely I would guess.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager