Re: [IRCA] Yahoo!Group

--- Geralyn Hollerman <lynnhollerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am replying to this in the group in hopes of clearing this up. The
> whole reason that [IRCA] moved from Yahoo!Groups was that there IS NO
> owner of record! Back in 2001, because of a foul-up with my ISP,
> Yahoo!Groups disabled my ID and wouldn't use my yahoo.com address as
> a backup - I don't know if this is still their policy - but at the
> time, if a primary address was bouncing and the secondary address was
> a yahoo.com address, the account was disabled, period.

I know that they won't accept a second Yahoo account as an alternate
address when opening a new Yahoo email account today. Therefore,
anymore, one can't even get to the place you were. Their logic presumes
that anything that impacts Yahoo is either global or geographic, in
which case both would be down. This is exactly what occurred when there
was an outage some years back near DC. At the time, my backup account
was on an ISP and website based elsewhere, so I got notified.

I contacted
> Yahoo! every way I could, but all I ever received was an automated
> response; [IRCA] was dead in the water for all practical purposes,
> since there was no way to approve memberships or moderate, so we
> moved to topica.com, and then when they started the cigarette ads,
> thanks to Risto, we moved here.
>
> I'd love to clean up the SPAM. But I have no authority to do so. And
> as long as spammers find a way to post, they will. I wish Yahoo would
> just archive the group and delete it, but they don't recognize me as
> anyone who has any say on that.
>
> Lynn.
> Lafayette, LA
> Check out the IRCA web site at http://www.ircaonline.org

> original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of
> the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id