[IRCA] CKKW-1090 Kitchener ON applies to move to FM (99.5 , 2.2 kW)

[IRCA] CKKW-1090 Kitchener ON applies to move to FM (99.5 , 2.2 kW)

CKKW-1090 Kitchener ON has applied to move to FM (99.5 MHz,
2.2 kW, 102 metres)

<http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Hearings/2008/n2008-2-3.htm>

Kitchener, Ontario
Application No. 2007-1504-7

Application by CTV Limited to convert radio station CKKW Kitchener from
the AM band to the FM band.

The new station would operate on frequency 99.5 MHz (channel 258 B1) with an average effective radiated power of 2,100 watts (maximum effective radiated
power of 5,000 watts/antenna height of 102 metres).

The applicant is requesting permission to simulcast the programming of the new FM station on CKKW for a period of 3 months from the date of implementation of the new station.

The applicant is also requesting, pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24 (1) of the Broadcasting Act, the revocation of the licence of CKKW effective at the end of the simulcast period.

The applicant proposes to maintain CKKW’s current Oldies music format on the proposed FM station.

I remember when this station moved from 1320 to 1090 in the mid 70's.
I was living in Bowmanville ON at the time (65 km east of Toronto) and
I had read in one of the electronic mags (perhaps Radio-Electronics)
that the best way to log a TA was to wait for early Monday morning
when WBAL had a silent period and with no station on 1090 at all,
at least in the east, the BBC on 1089 could be logged with relative ease.

Stayed up late and listened to the WBAL signoff on my old Crosley tube radio
connected to the longwire antenna I had in the backyead. After WBAL cut
their carrier I realized that CKKW had already moved to 1090. Bummer.

73,

Deane McIntyre VE6BPO